Featured Course – September 2020
Course available OnDemand for the month of September. Live Q&A with industry leading trainer John Forro on September 29th at 3:00PM ET. Submit any of your questions through the Contact Teacher button and Mr. Forro will address them during the live Q&A session.
In this course, AVI’s instructor John Forro walks the student through the practical ins and outs of low- and high-voltage electricity theory through lecture and examination of electric vehicle components. Forro shows the proper testing and servicing procedures involved with traditional 12 volt systems and the newer high voltage components found in electric vehicles. High voltage components covered in this course include the HV battery pack, inverter assembly, converter assembly, electric air conditioning compressor, and Motor generators 1 and 2. A heavy emphasis will be placed on safety as well as real-world diagnostic testing and repair procedures.
This course is ideal for both the new student looking to learn about basic electrical theory and the more advanced technician seeking knowledge on high-voltage systems in modern electric vehicles.
After participating in this course, the participant will be able to:
- Understand the fundamental theories of electricity and electrical current
- Communicate how a battery works
- State the classifications, configurations, and types of batteries that exist today
- Describe how to care for batteries
- Explain Alternating Current (AC) vs. Direct Current (DC)
- Define electrical terminology
- Illustrate Ohms Law
- Underline the tools for working with electricity
- Outline electrical circuits and switches
- Generalize how fuses operate
- Contrast series and parallel circuits
- Illustrate the operation of multimeters
- Recall basic electrical components
- Communicate on how to test electric circuits
- Relate how vehicle charging systems work
- Describe standard charging system components
- Describe how smart charging systems operate
- Recall the need for schematics and how they work