Archived Webinar – A variety of factors in today’s transportation arena are making electric vehicles more common on our nation’s roadways. With increased electric vehicle use, the chance of these new technologies being involved in a vehicular accident also increases.
Firefighters need to be trained on the differences between these vehicles and their conventionally-fueled counterparts and on the proper procedures for safely addressing incidents involving electric vehicles. This course is designed to educate firefighters on the properties of and procedures to follow when dealing with these advanced technology vehicles.
The subjects covered in this course include:
- Understand the properties of electric vehicles, including unique components and charging systems.
- Recognize the differences between electric vehicles and their conventionally powered gasoline and diesel counterparts.
- Identify the risks and hazards common to electric vehicles and their high-voltage components.
- Be aware of the proper personal protective equipment needed.
- Understand how to identify an electric vehicle from its more conventionally fueled counterpart.
- Recognized the additional standard operating procedures (SOPs) to be added to your department’s current guidelines when dealing with an electric vehicle.
- Learning skills to be applied to incidents involving electric vehicles including scene evaluation and control, vehicle disabling, extrication, and fire suppression.
Original Air Date – April 20, 2020